Rankins Springs is at the foot of Mount Conapaira between Goolgowi and West Wyalong. The village is on the Mid Western Highway near the eastern boundary of Carrathool Shire, and is 6 hours both from Sydney or Melbourne and just over 30 minutes from Griffith. Rankins Springs is known for its native birdlife with designated bird hides strategically located around the area. There is also a pub, general store, post office, caravan park, motel, service station and gallery.
The original Rankins Springs village was established in 1870 as a service centre for surrounding farms on a site about 10 kilometres north west from the present location. The village moved to its current site in 1923, following the construction of the rail line from West Wyalong.
The railway closed in 2004. Follow the heritage markers around Rankins Springs and learn more of the history of this small village. Travelers passing through can make use of the picnic and toilet facilities in the well-kept shady parks; the general store and service station provides visitors with the essentials and the Conapaira Hotel is a great place to stop for a meal or cold drink. For those wishing to stay a night or two, there is a caravan park and a motel.